Knapton lies less than 4 miles
to the west of York city centre. The village is situated within the York
outer ring road. It is surrounded by agricultural land.
Knapton has been around a long
time – the Domesday survey indicated almost 1000 years of established settlement. The hamlet of the middle ages had
open fields, evidence of which is preserved in the local names of Lowfield and Northfield.
The village has a single principal street (Main Street)
and, on the east side, a Back Lane. It is likely that
the village was originally laid out as a single sided village with the main street lined by houses and back lane by farm buildings,
with easy access to the adjacent fields. Despite the proximity to the City of York
the surrounding countryside has helped Knapton maintain its rural appearance.
In late 2005 an informal survey
indicated that there were 96 dwellings in the village envelope occupied by 173 adults (age 16+) and 49 children. The only
village amenity is the local village public house.
Rufforth and Knapton have reminders of their rural heritage with a Pinfold in each of the villages.